Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"A terrific noise invented her"

If you've never read any poetry by Laura Kasischke, do it. She's fantastic. Her language is normally rather simple (but she has such a command for language that it doesn't appear superficial), and then she has these intense lines that alter your entire view on humanity. I've been reading her latest book, Space, in Chains and I'm smitten.


After a couple weeks of feeling rather discouraged about my writing, I completely revamped a couple of old poems (one from about a year ago and the other from two years ago), and I'm feeling a lot more pleased with them. During poetry workshop, Larissa quoted Albert Camus--"Always go too far, because that's where you'll find the truth"--and it stuck with me. I think I captured a lot more in both of the poems than I'd originally even hoped to accomplish (and I hope I found "the truth," whatever that means).


Feeling good.

No comments:

Post a Comment